Nelsan Ellis, best known for his role – Lafayette – on HBO’s hit show True Blood, has passed away at the age of 39.
The actor died after complications from heart failure.
“We were extremely saddened to hear of the passing of Nelsan Ellis. Nelsan was a long-time member of the HBO family whose groundbreaking portrayal of Lafayette will be remembered fondly within the overall legacy of ‘True Blood.’ Nelsan will be dearly missed by his fans and all of us at HBO.” – HBO
Fellow True Blood cast members and friends of Nelsan’s posted similar tributes to Ellis on social media.
My heart is broken today over the loss of @OfficialNelsan I was in complete awe of your talent and so honored to have known your kindness.
– Anna Camp (@TheRealAnnaCamp) July 8, 2017
– Anna Paquin (@AnnaPaquin) July 8, 2017
Nelsan Ellis was truly remarkable. A brilliant, charismatic, intelligent, soulful, wonderful dude. this is just completely tragic.
– Stephen Moyer (@smoyer) July 8, 2017
Very disturbed and sad that Nelsan Ellis has died. Such a huge talent. Such a wonderful man. The world is a poorer place today…
– Denis O’Hare (@denisohare) July 8, 2017
– Deborah Ann Woll (@DeborahAnnWoll) July 8, 2017
Crushed today by the loss of my friend and castmate Nelsan Ellis. He was a wonderful person, a pioneer, and a one of a kind artist. RIP pic.twitter.com/fvtquhIac7
– Joe Manganiello (@JoeManganiello) July 8, 2017
Unbelievably sad news. Nelsan was such a sweet, gentle soul with an enormous talent. He will be missed greatly RIP https://t.co/NDdoaeM6Pj
– MichaelRaymond-James (@MRaymondJames) July 8, 2017
– Patrick Heusinger (@heusinger) July 8, 2017
This is just so sad. What an epic talent. Everyone who knew him adored him. Gone too soon. R.I.Pâœ¨ https://t.co/ZkzShUgx4V
– Rebecca Mader (@bexmader) July 8, 2017
– Sterling K Brown (@sterlingkb1) July 8, 2017
Stunned, devastated by the terrible news of @OfficialNelsan‘s passing. Nelsan was a genius and a beautiful soul. Sending love to his family.
– Michael McMillian (@McMillzz) July 8, 2017
Nelsan you brought the sparkle to Lafayette and turned him into a legend we will not be forgetting anytime soon. Lafayette showed the world that no one can tell you what to do and to be proud of who you are. He showed us how to work it. We miss you already.