Fox Executive Calls ABC’s American Idol Revival “Extremely Fraudulent”

As many of us already know American Idol will be coming back to television in 2018.   What we don’t know is who will be the host and who will be the judges.  Speculation has Ryan Seacrest returning as host and so far the only names in the running for potential judges are Katy Perry, Harry Connick Jr. and possibly Jennifer Lopez.  We also know that American Idol will not be returning to its original network, FOX.  In fact, it seems as though FOX might be a little bitter at the revival.  According to TV Guide

Only one year after Idol’s much-hyped farewell season concluded on Fox, Fox TV chairman Dana Walden made it clear to reporters during a conference call on Monday that she believed it’s far too soon to bring back the iconic singing competition. Although Fox did bid for the show’s return, along with NBC and the ultimate winner ABC, Walden explained that Fox wanted to wait until at least 2020 to revive the series — something which American Idol’s production studio, Freemantle Media, had zero interest in.

“They were determined to get this show back on the air as quickly as possible,” Walden said. “We spent about 25 million dollars sending a clear message that it was the farewell season. It felt to us it would be extremely fraudulent to bring the show back that quickly. Our fans would not appreciate being told one thing and then having the show brought back right away.”

Sounds like someone is a little sour they didn’t win the bid to bring back the show.  Will the show ever be as big as is once was?  I’d say the chances of that are slim to none.   However, there’s no question that a revival will get solid ratings.  The real question is, for how long?

Thanks for reading! How would you rate this article?

Click on a star to rate it!

/ 5.

Tell us what's wrong with this post? How could we improve it? :)

Let us improve this post!