Bill Nye, better known as “The Science Guy” is also the CEO of the Planetary Society. Lately Bill Nye has been getting more public with his opinions on all things science. A few weeks ago he got into a major spat with Tucker Carlson on climate change in which Nye essentially took Carlson to school. Nye’s most recent public appearance is an open letter in video format in which he addressed none other than the President on the United States, Donald Trump.
“Space brings out the best in us,” Nye says in the 6-minute video. “There are two questions deep within each of us: Where did we come from, and are we alone in the universe? To answer these questions, we have to explore space.” As Nye explains, the Planetary Society has five recommendations for the Trump administration as it lays out priorities for NASA.
According to a white paper accompanying the video, the priorities include:
- Maintain the exploration of Mars as the organizing principle for NASA’s human spaceflight program.
- Direct NASA to plan an executable, affordable path for sending humans to Mars orbit by 2033.
- Expand NASA’s highly successful science portfolio.
- Continue to grow and support the commercial space industry.
- Initiate annual five percent increases to NASA’s budget for five years.
You can see the full video below: